21 Jul Literacy Field Survey Results
Thank you to everyone that filled out our annual literacy field survey, issued earlier this year. We are pleased to share with you some interesting findings from the field. All findings from these surveys are used to help inform and direct our programming strategy and to develop helpful tools and resources to support the field.
The top areas of literacy that practitioners outlined they want curriculum materials are:
- financial literacy
- essential skills
- employability skills
- digital literacy skills
- workplace soft skills
Literacy practitioners indicated the best way that ABC Life Literacy could help support their work is by:
- providing free downloadable and printed materials
- helping raise public awareness of the importance of strong literacy skills
The most commonly-mentioned challenges about working in literacy are:
- learner recruitment, retention and engagement
- lack of funding and resources, particularly for volunteers
- finding a curriculum that was relevant to a diverse range of adult learners
Half of all literacy practitioners surveyed indicated that they are based in rural communities.