05 Dec 5 family literacy activities for the holiday season
We’re all familiar with the ‘summer slide’, but the winter holiday break can also cause learning loss for school-aged children, who will spend two weeks off school later this month.
Help prevent learning loss and ensure kids return sharper than ever by encouraging family literacy activities over the school break. Oftentimes, parents take time off work as well, which means it’s the perfect opportunity to spend quality time learning together as a family.
Here are a few winter-themed activities that the whole family will enjoy!
- Pretend to be a Polar Bear: This activity encourages imagination through sound and play.
- Polar Bear Chase Game: This winter-themed card game is fun for the whole family.
- Snowman Finger Puppets: Get craft with these DIY finger puppets.
- Winter Walk Scavenger Hunt: This fun learning activity will get you outdoors for some fresh air.
- Snowstorm Drawing: Bring out the crayons, markers and pencil crayons and imagine what a snowstorm might look like.
More free family literacy activities can be found online at FamilyLiteracyFirst.ca. It’s free to register.