Family Literacy Day
Family Literacy Day takes place every January 27th to raise awareness about the importance of reading and engaging in other literacy-related activities as a family. Since 1999, thousands of schools, libraries, literacy organizations and other community groups have taken part in the initiative. ABC creates free learning and promotional resources for anyone that wants to get involved. Taking time every day to read or do a learning activity with children is crucial to a child’s development, improving a child’s literacy skills dramatically, and can help a parent improve their skills as well.
Family Literacy Day 2021 Theme: Travel the World Together!
Use your imagination to go exploring and travel the world together as a family – you never know what you’ll learn! Plan your dream trip, learn about another culture and open your mind to the world.
Celebrate Family Literacy Day 2021 Virtually with Honorary Chair Barbara Reid!
Join us online on Wednesday January 27, 2021 from 4:30-5:00pm ET for a special event with author and illustrator Barb Reid.
Barb will be doing a demonstration on how to use clay to create a picture. She will share unique techniques you can use to make different things. The event will end with a Q&A.
What you’ll need
To take part fully in this event, you’ll need:
- Clay (the more colours the better!)
- A paper plate or round lid to act as the base of your picture
- A sharp pencil or toothpick
This event is ideal for children in grades 1 to 6. To register, please click here. Spaces are limited, so be sure to register as soon as possible to secure your spot.
Q&A and Photo Contest
If you want to ask Barb Reid a question during the event, you’ll have the opportunity to do so. However, we may not be able to accommodate all questions, so feel free to submit your answers ahead of time to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After the event, you’ll have an opportunity to send in photos of your completed artwork for a chance to win a Family Literacy Day prize pack! Details will be announced during the event.
Family Literacy Day 2021 Resources
Family Literacy Day 2021 Resources
Download and share these resources at your Family Literacy Day 2020 event.
Barbara Reid Tips sheet: English French
Poster (fillable): English French
Activity Sheet: English French
Activity Book: English French
Bookmarks: English French
Event Coordinator’s Guide: English French
Social Media Guide: English
Family Literacy in Canada
- Children spend five times as much time outside the classroom as they do in school, so parents and caregivers need the tools to support their learning (The Read-Aloud Handbook, Jim Trelease, 2006).
- Children whose parents are involved with them in family literacy activities score 10 points higher on standardized reading tests (The Effect of Family Literacy Interventions On Children’s Acquisition of Reading: From Kindergarten to Grade 3, Conducted by Monique Sénéchal for the National Center for Family Literacy, 2006)
- One year of parental education has a bigger positive impact on whether a son or daughter will attend a postsecondary institution than an extra $50,000 in parental income (Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario, 2011)
- A mother’s reading skill is the greatest factor to affect her children’s future academic success, outweighing other factors, like neighborhood and family income (National Institute of Health, 2010).
Browse ABC Programs
Family Literacy Day Events Calendar
Find an event near you!
Register Your Event Now!
Tell us about your Family Literacy Day plans.