ABC Life Literacy Canada is encouraging Canadian families to have "15 Minutes of Fun" learning together. Learning can happen at any time. Practicing literacy together every day has tremendous benefits for both children and parents. Here are some great ways to get started:
- Read a “wake up” story in the morning (after reading your bedtime story the night before).
- Search online for fun places to go in your community. Pick out a spot for your next family day trip.
- Make up a new recipe together and post it online.
- Tell knock-knock jokes together while doing the dishes.
- Create a story with your family: take turns writing one sentence at a time, then read the whole story aloud when you’re done.
- Write a review of a book you read together as a family. Send it to the author through email or snail mail.
- Organize a book swap at your school or with your friends.
- Track your trip to school, the park, and the grocery store on a map. Find a different route to take to each place.
- Learn to play a musical instrument. What about the ukulele?
- Write a note to include in a grown-up’s lunch – ask them to write back!
- Make a popsicle stick model with your family.
- Write your names graffiti-style using chalk on your sidewalk – you may need to shovel first!
- Play a board game together.
- Look up the words to your favourite song online. Have a sing-off with your friends!
- Count how many steps it takes to get from your bedroom to your kitchen. Find out who in your family has the most steps to a snack!
Share on Facebook