The Peter Gzowski Life Literacy Fellowship
Online Entry Form
The winner of the Peter Gzowski Life Literacy Fellowship will receive a $3,000 grant to help in the development, research and publication (print, online or broadcast) of a media story focusing on adult literacy. Please see guidelines and criteria below, or
download them here.
Please complete this online entry form no later than Friday, May 31, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. EDT. All fields are required.
Please also attach:
- Your one-page editorial proposal
- A notice from the media outlet confirming support of a story featuring adult literacy published or broadcast on or before March 1, 2014
- A brief biography
The Peter Gzowski Life Literacy Fellowship was founded by ABC Life Literacy Canada in 1993 in memory and honour of legendary broadcaster and journalist Peter Gzowski – a passionate champion for literacy.
- Applications for the Peter Gzowski Life Literacy Fellowship are open to:
- accredited media working and residing in Canada
- freelance journalists working and residing in Canada
- media/journalism graduate students enrolled in an accredited post-graduate program in Canada
- One winner will be selected and notified by July 31, 2013. o The winner will attend Life Literacy Night in Toronto, ON, in September 2013 to receive the Fellowship and a cheque for $3,000. (Transportation and accommodations provided by ABC Life Literacy Canada.)
- The winner will attend (transportation/accommodations provided by ABC Life Literacy Canada) and be presented with a cheque from ABC Life Literacy Canada for a fellowship amount of $3,000.
- The winner must complete his/her story and show proof of publishing by the representative media organization on or before March 1, 2014.
- The award selection committee is comprised of representatives from the media and literacy field across Canada.
- Entries, whether for print, online or broadcast media, must have an adult literacy themed focus.
- Entries may be of either a local or national interest, and may be based on reporting analysis, commentary, special section, feature or series.
- Entries will be accepted from the following categories: newspaper (daily, community, regional or national), magazine, television news, television feature (news magazine/talk show), radio interview and Internet.
- Entries will be evaluated based on the following specific criteria:
- focus on adult literacy as primary subject matter
- length of story along with size of outlet market and degree of commitment from publishing outlet
- thoroughness of analysis to the story
- importance of story in generating awareness of adult literacy
- Additional evaluation criteria includes:
- Professionalism of submission package and likelihood of successful completion
- All entry applications must include:
- a formal notice from a media outlet confirming support of a story featuring adult literacy published or broadcast on or before March 1, 2014.
- a single sample of published work
- NB: the entry cannot be used more than two years in a row
- The application process will close at 5:00 p.m. EDT on Friday, May 31, 2013.